Northbound U.S. 1 traffic will shift onto the newly reconstructed northbound lanes between Old Lincoln Highway and Rockhill Drive Monday night, February 3, marking the completion of the first major phase of a project to reconstruct, widen and improve a 1.3-mile section of the highway in Bensalem Township, Bucks County, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced today.
Following the Monday night shift, crews will work the remainder of the week to adjust concrete construction barriers and begin reconstruction of the middle section on U.S. 1 — including demolition and replacement of the middle section of U.S. 1 bridges over Street Road (Route 132), the Pennsylvania Turnpike and the ramps to the Turnpike Toll Plaza — the second major phase of the project.
Periodic lane closures will be in place on Sunday, February 2, through Friday, February 7, from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM the following morning for construction activities on:
- Northbound and southbound U.S. 1 between Old Lincoln Highway and Rockhill Drive;
- Eastbound or westbound Street Road (Route 132) between Old Lincoln Highway and Kingston Way; and
- Bristol Road between Old Lincoln Highway and Belmont Avenue, where flaggers will direct an alternating lane of traffic through the work area for the early stages of construction to replace the bridge over U.S.1.
Motorists are advised to allow extra time when traveling through the work areas because backups and slowdowns will occur. All scheduled activities are weather permitting.
Under construction that began in late 2018 under Section RC1, PennDOT has:
- Removed and replaced the northbound pavement on U.S. 1 between Old Lincoln Highway and Rockhill Drive;
- Replaced the northbound side of U.S. 1 bridges over Street Road (Route 132), the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and the Turnpike ramps;
- Began reconstruction of the U.S. 1/Street Road (Route 132) interchange;
- Began construction of new ramps to and from northbound U.S. 1 and the Turnpike Toll Plaza;
- Installed new stormwater basins, pipes and inlets;
- Relocated sanitary sewer and water lines on U.S. 1;
- Reconstructed eastbound Street Road (Route 132) at the U.S. 1 Interchange; and
- Started preliminary work to replace the Bristol Road bridge over U.S. 1.
RC1 is the first of three construction contracts to rebuild and widen U.S. 1; replace aging bridges; and install safety enhancements along a four-mile section of the expressway from just north of Philadelphia to just north of Route 413 (Pine Street) in Middletown Township and Langhorne Borough.